Monday, January 6, 2020

Dodge City by Guest Blogger Wayne Hendrick

dodge CityDodge City: Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, and the Wickedest Town in the American WeEnjoy this guest post by customer Wayne Hendrick.




I just finished another book by Tom Claven (the guy who wrote "Tombstone"). This was called "Dodge City: Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and the Wickedest Town in the the American West." Where Wyatt Earp was the central figure in that book, this one featured Bat Masterson.

 He was probably the best lawman that the West ever had; instead of killing,he arrested the outlaws and cowboys. He was loyal to his friends rather than to money. He was married only once and that was the woman he was with when he died in New York City where he wrote a newspaper column.

 He and Wyatt were socially conscious (at least for the times). In Dodge City there was a black family who were starving. He and Earp contributed to their relief. There was a church fund raiser that was billed as a "beautiful baby" contest. Votes were sold as raffle tickets to win a $100. Bat and Wyatt counted the votes and when the winner was announced nobody knew who the baby was. Bat said he knew and went to the "other side of the tracks" and and brought the black mother and baby back. Remember this was in 1878 Kansas. I highly recommend this book

Thanks to Wayne for this succinct review.  Inventory continues here at LaDeDa and I was pressed to find time for a blog post.  I was a fan of TV westerns growing up; Tombstone on my coffee table patiently waiting.  

How's project #! going?  Books on CD?  Well, as my email cuz warned me, it's all about the reader.  I have started and given up on a couple because the reader - sorry for the bad pun - did not speak to me.  This morning I grabbed Welcome to the World Baby Girl written and read by Fannie Flagg. This one I will finish.  Next week a few words on The Day the World Came to Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment