Monday, March 9, 2020

LaDeDa Chatter

.Sorry about not posting last week.  I am in a bit of a reading slump in addition to getting used to a new computer.  Don't laugh - I have been using XP for much longer than I should have, putting files and all sorts of other info at risk.  Moving up to Windows 10 has proven to be just as challenging as I thought it would be, and I have used many words I believed I had long forgotten.  Luckily the beast is temporarily set up in the office, away from the public until the two of us learn to get along better.

Nonetheless, last week percolated with publishing news.  Poor Oprah, first her American Dirt pick caused all sorts of sturm and drang, and now she has dropped her latest pick My Dark Vanessa, amid claims of plagiarism. 

Then there was all the bedlam at Hachette (Little Brown) over the publication of Woody Allen's memoir. Twitter exploded with objections citing Allen's alleged molestation of his 7-year old step-daughter, allegations he denies. Ronan Farrow, brother of the alleged victim, and Hachette author himself,  spoke out against Hachette’s' questionable decision.  Farrow's book, Catch and Kill, is largely responsible for the #metoo movement as it exposed cover-ups among higher-ups in the entertainment industry.Over 100 Hachette employees walked out in protest.  Ultimately, the book, whose publication was announced on Monday, was cancelled on Friday. This sure had all the components of a perfect storm, and the decision to err on the side of decency and sensitivity of course questions where freedom of speech fits into the picture.    

Here at LDD, well, we have a framed poster from a successful (and a personal favorite) Woody Allen movie, Annie Hall.  Annie, played by Diane Keaton, mumbles "ladeda" a lot throughout the movie - when she gets nervous, overwhelmed, paralyzed, unsure, or excited.  I heard her voice in my ear more than once as I was pulling together this little book store project 20 some years ago - hence the name of the store.  I am considering taping a picture of Pennywise over Allen's face.


My original plan was to share some  fun Irish facts I learned from reading this neat little tween book.  But, this post has gotten way too long, so you'll have to wait until next week to hear all about the varieties of leprechauns.  Who knew more than one kind existed?   OK, I'll give you one - Pookas.  The big, invisible rabbit that befriends Elwood P. Dowd in the award winning play, Harvey, is a pooka.  Even though I directed that show twice (at least) I always thought the Pooka was an invention of playwright Mary  Coyle Chase.  


More next week.
Thanks for stopping by,





No comments:

Post a Comment