Monday, August 31, 2020


Every month I get catalogues in which publishers offer glimpses into their new releases.  There are too many to read cover to cover, word for word.  Still, I look forward to receiving them, page through, circle, highlight, write margin comments, just like many of us did each October when the huge Sears Christmas tome arrived.  And just like back then, at some point it hits me - I can't have everything I circled, highlighted and commented on, and the culling of dreams begins.

Generally, distributor catalogues offer a nice balance of adult literary fiction, genre fiction, a wide range of non-fiction, and lots of colorful picture books. This month's magazine was different. 56 pages featuring books about our broken country.  That is frightening and it saddens me.   While many focus on our political climate, social issues do not go unnoticed.  

These books would not exist without reason - but I'll tell you, just reading blurbs causes fits of existential head shaking...

Separated...truth behind the systemic separation of thousands of migrant families at the US-Mexico border

True Crimes and Misdemeanors/ The Investigation of Donald Trump by Jeffrey Toobin CNN analyst

The Stakes/The 2020 Election and the Point of No Return

There's all that an more; we have.... 

Irreversible Damage - studies showing that America has become fertile ground for a "transgender craze" that has nothing to do with real gender dysphoria and everything to do with cultural frailty

Human trafficking, poverty, racism, stupidity, pandemics...56 pages devoted to books about issues  and that we can't and shouldn't ignore. 

Don't quite know where this is going...just a bit of awareness and reality for me today.  Managing gloom and doom presents such a challenge.  I don't want to suggest that the spinning of all these topics has driven me to living the life of a nail biting hermit.  My head is above ground and I find things to be grateful for every day.  Today I am grateful for the fact that it will only be thirty days before I get my next distributor catalogue which will surely be filled with all the new, and many favorite and traditional holiday books bringing memories of waiting for the Sears Christmas book to arrive.

Not sure if I am going to hit the publish button.

We'll see.
Stay safe. Satay healthy. Stay happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment