Monday, May 17, 2021

Shakespeare's flowers


 In October of 1997, when I first opened LaDeDa, friends Jim and Susie Miller gave me this book.  "With prayers and wishes for a long term success of LaDeDa Books & Beans." They wrote slightly above the original note to "Mother from Ruth Ann and Phil, 1970."

Every spring, this is the first book to come off my shelf as I look forward to spending time wandering, and shopping in our local greenhouses.  Tucked away in a neat little corner of my yard, I plant flowers and herbs from this book.  The planning and planting remind me of Sr. Salome, college professor, who planted her own secret Shakespeare garden each year.  Sr. Salome is gone, but I am lucky to still have Jim and Susie in my life, and I think of them, too, as I decide what to try each year.

This year there will be irises, and columbine, and lavender.  The iris grows wild along the Avon River, the gentle waters that wander through Shakespeare' home village, Stratford-upon-Avon. In France, the flower was called "Fleur de Louis" after French King Louis VII.  Readers of the bard's history plays will run across plenty of French references.  

Columbine, which it my favorite of the three I will plant this year, was carried around by poor, nutty Ophelia in Hamlet.  Sadly, it has become a symbol of "forsaken lovers," and cottage gardeners throughout England call them "granny bonnets."  When they bend away from the sun, I guess that description fits.

I try to put lavender in spots where I can brush against it, or wave my hand through it to capture the scent.  I  always thought of it as an old lady scent, or, even worse, the overpowering smell of that awful bathroom freshener spray.  Now, I find it relaxing.  It seems that lavender is really an herb, and fancy chefs use it in cooking a lot.  "Hot lavender' is what the fresh flowers of the plant are called.  I have baked lavender into cookies, but have never put it on salad.  My book tells me it tastes like pepper.  Maybe I'll give it a try.

This is happy book is filled with with quotes. facts, folklore, and gentle watercolors.  Ironically, my book group has chosen The Language of Flowers for our July discussion.  My garden should be in full bloom by then.  Thank you Sr. Salome, for guiding me through some tough Shakespeare works, and to Jim and Susie for my annual, first weeks of spring book.

Thanks for stopping by.

Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment