Monday, October 25, 2021

The Whistling Season

Ivan Doig believed that "ordinary people deserved to have their stories told"; he accomplished just that in this gentle work of fiction which reads much like a thoughtful memoir.  I suspect that some episodes began in the hallways of the author's memory.
 

So many thoughts popped to mind as I read -- the first being "This is so slow and could very well be the first book discussion title I won't finish." I can't say what changed, but I found myself drawn to this book, turning off the TV, cheating time away form other needs just to get back at it.  Although I wanted to learn what Rose and Morris were really up to, or to hear about the next near disastrous adventure of the Milliron boys, I didn't want the book to end.. 

Let me back up.  In 1907, the Melliron family moved to Marias Coulee, Montana from Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Yes, you read that right. Little Manitowoc references were scattered throughout.  Mom died, the boys were boys, and dad needed a housekeeper. Enter Rose with her brother, Morrie, tagging behind.  Mary Poppins and Bert, or something more sinister?  That thread floats nicely amid the tales of day to day challenges of homesteading.  

That's it. That's pretty much what happens, but it's a nice journey to be taken on.  I was often remined of Bruce Springsteen songs.  He's a storyteller, narrating his day, his thoughts and dreams in his lyrics.  Funny, I also though about a friend who writes mundane Facebook posts.  "Took the dogs out in the rain.  They didn't like it.  At home now watching 'Wheel for Fortune' and drinking coffee." Not much going on there, but it's a picture of what life is made of. Small moments.  Important in the moment and , as Doig would tell us, deserving to be told.  

This "slow" book nudged memories to the surface for me and got me thinking about people, and events that had been tucked somewhere for quite a while.  That was nice.  My only wish for this book was that I had read it on one of those days with a blizzard raging...nowhere to go...just me, the dog, coffee, and a good book.

Thanks for stopping by.

Stay safe. Stay healthy. (Don't fool yourself, Covid is still a big thing here).

Stay happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment