Thursday, April 28, 2022

The Last Chance Library


 Where have I been?  That's a fair question.  We all get into reading slump from time to time, and that black hole has been my home for a few weeks.  Might it have been an existential book crisis?  Perhaps.  Forgive me for I have....been captivated by the Johnny Depp trial.  My guilty pleasure which I can watch at home before I come to work, watch on my work computer as I skim the latest edition of Publishers Weekly, and then watch the three hour recap after work, which is immediately followed by a rerum of the recap, so hypothetically I could consume 6 hours of watching what I just watched.  Change is needed.

Hmmm.  Why?  I wonder that myself each day as I shelve new orders of historical fiction about women dong something in WWII.  Book themes come in waves, you know.  First we had the orphans.  They always sat on suitcases, and sometimes they faced away from the camera - faceless children in threadbare coats. Sometimes they didn't even have shoes.  

What's hot now?  Paris. Little shops.  Wolves. Libraries and librarians.  In my estimation, most offer us helpings of dismal lives in exhausting situations.  Sure, authors offer us a lot to chew on in these books, but dang it, I need a good belly laugh, or al least something a bit more tender.  

Enter the fine folks in tiny Chalcot, England.  Essentially, a group of library loving misfits who find their voices and pull together to prevent their beloved sanctuary from being swallowed by big business. 
Marjorie and June man the card catalogue with decidedly different approaches to how books and patrons should be regarded.  Stanley takes up residence every day to read the newspaper and people watch.  Mrs. B. appears regularly, slamming a generally highly regarded piece of literature on the check-out desk, declaring it to be garbage.  Jackson, Vera, Chantal, Alex round out the regulars.

Oh, I forgot to mention the stripper.  Charming and wistful -   but this book goes far beyond charm and wist (spell check is telling me wist is not a word! Oh well, you get it right?) I was reminded not to be so judgey since we never know individual's back stories.  Also, we never really know how others perceive us...that's a big question and I wonder if I want to know that answer.  And the biggest question - what would I be willing to stand up and save?

Truth is, more often than not, these light, Sunday afternoon reads are just that, simple, delightful stories meant for sunny days on the deck with iced coffee, and a dog snoring gently.  This book gave me exactly what I needed to get turning pages once again...more books to read, more things to think about.  I promise myself to cut back on the Depp drama and dig into Lonesome Dove - all 844 pages.  I am on page 38.  Will keep you updated.

One more note about book trends before I leave...if you are searching for a light-hearted book, just take a look at the cover art.  Minimalist. Pastels. Angular images. Faceless people who somehow make us happy.

If you have a happy suggestion for me, drop me line on our store Facebook page.

Thanks for stopping by.

Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment