Friday, December 4, 2009

Take the Grinch Test!



If this sweet little picture doesn't make you smile, well, all I can say is, step aside MR. GRINCH. A few years back, my friend Terri went to China on a work related trip. Minnie is the daughter of one of Terri's Chinese co-workers. Chinese years are named after animals, and Minnie was born in the year of the mouse.


Another international baby made it's way into my life last week, in a most curious way. Terri, Chris, and I went to dinner at El Alamo. Nice night with friends, and great food. Two exciting events occurred. First, I broke a tooth, which landed me in the dentist's chair at 8:15 Friday morning. I get to go back this Friday to have the work completed. Dr. Peter Hansen is a nice guy even though he is in the pain infliction business. He worked me in on an already packed day, knowing full well that I would be unpleasant, and perhaps would cry. Since he only filed the tooth down to prevent it from lacerating the inside of my mouth, there was no need for tears. And...best of all, he didn't charge me. Nice guy, but he's still a dentist!

Anyway, after we finished dinner, I walked past a table where an Hispanic mother was sitting, with her baby. I used my standard line, "Nice baby, " and the mom stood up and started talking to me. She told me the baby's name is David, and he is two months old. Then she leaned in to me and said, oh so quietly, "Would you touch him?" Smoothly, I replied, "Huh?" She repeated her request, and again, I applied my best social skills saying (rather loudly, I'm afraid) "Touch him?" She assured me that was what she wanted. I thought maybe I could shake his hand and move on, but David was bundled up nicely, with only his handsome, round face peeking out. I touched his cheek, mom was happy, and we left.


*****The holiday spirit is in full swing here at LaDeDa, and Santa, Mrs. Claus, and Earl the Elf will be here at 11:00 on Saturday to read a few stories. We won't be doing the traditional sitting on Santa's lap and reciting an inventory of wants. Instead, Santa, Mrs. Claus, and Earl will chat for a while, and sign autographs. There will also be a make-and- take craft. What fun...but I have declared the store a No Glitter zone!


I know that my survival as a retailer depends largely on November and December sales, but when I see faces like Minnie there on the left, I can't help but think that the Grinch got it right when he said, "Maybe Christmas...doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"


What am I reading? I'm still working on the Tumor Board, with Neil Gaimen's The Graveyard Book next in line. Talking about tumors didn't seem like an appropriate blend with the rest of this post, so maybe you'll hear about it next week. Oh, and if you like Mexican food, give El Alamo on Marshall street a try. It's not fancy, but the food is wonderful, the staff is friendly, and the prices are beyond reasonable. We need to keep this place open.


Thanks for stopping by. Gotta go shovel snow. GRRRRR.