Monday, August 21, 2017

Random Chatter

Just some random thoughts today.....


This morning I Googled "short haircuts for fat faces" and lots of fine suggestions popped.  I gasped at the possibilities - all those high cheekbones, sunken cheeked faces staring back at me.  The possibility of a whole new face was in my future until I realized that only the hair would change, and realistically,  with a short cut, I would most likely look more like a pumpkin-head than I already do.  
Scrolling a bit more revealed the photo to the left.  I wondered, had I actually googled "short haircuts for cranky white women"?  Looked just right for me.  So, in about four hours, I will present my now unruly hair (I am nearing that awful country western singer look) to my hairdresser with a collection of pictures and tell her to have at it.  I will walk out happy, with a controlled head of hair and  the my usual angry white woman face  That hair happiness will last until tomorrow when morning reality reminds me that my hair only looks good for the few hours after leaving the salon.  It's some sort of Karma, I guess.

From the friendship file comes this little bit....in addition to reading books on my personal list, books chosen for book discussion groups, books that customers suggest I read because they want to talk about them, and books that I feel I should read to keep on top of trends (the dreadful Fifty Shades of Gray falls into that category) I am now reading (or is pre-reading?) books for friends.  Friend Nancy stated that she had head so much about Louise Penny but didn't want to invest time or money unless she had a handle on what to expect.   Would I read it for her and report back? she requested. 

 I agreed with a belligerent reply making the request appear to be a great inconvenience, although Louise Penny piqued my interest long ago. When she recently appeared on "20/20" "60 Minutes" or whatever, I decided to start her series set the  a small, fictional Canadian town of Three Pines. Never did I imagine that my reading a Louise Penny book would constitute a book emergency, but that is exactly how this scenario is materializing.  "Have you read it yet?"  was the first gentle inquiry on the progress of the Penny project.  Forgive the unintentional alliteration.  I am not a fan of funny phonics.  "No". Quickly, the demanding inquiries escalated.   Two days later...."Have you started?" "No."  "How long am I supposed to wait?"

Wait no longer, Nancy.  I have begun.  And I shall finish shortly.  This first in a series is a fast read with a compelling plot and great characters.  I will not read another one because there too many people, business and organizations have French names. for now,  that is my review of Still Life by Louise Penny  Thanks you for choosing me to be your pre-reader.

And thank YOU for stopping by.