Monday, November 6, 2017

Connections


This is what it's about for me. Sure, that cash register ring is sweet, but nothing compares to seeing kids enjoying a book, a real book with pages and big pictures they can study and question.  Even more important - the book, child, adult connection.  On this day, my friends Wyatt and Grandma TT introduced me to Wyatt's twin siblings, Cole and Chelsea.  I have learned from experience that with kids under four, I am best staying behind the counter.  Once I get too close they cry.  Not these two.  I felt as if I had known them forever.  Chelsea offered me her Halloween mask and was a bit puzzled when I couldn't get it around my thick skull.  She chatted me up while Cole explored.  I'm bragging here when I say when it was time to leave. Cole asked me help him with his mask and jacket. Clearly we had a connection and I can't wait for their next visit.

I also got to meet three-week old Eudora, the newest addition to the Otto family.  Five kids each strongly his or her own person.  Each engaging, respectful and happy.  OK, you got me.  I am assuming that Eudora will grow to be engaging, respectful and happy like her siblings.  Some people would say it was gas, but I know she smiled each time her mom brushed her cheek and whispered her name.  How lucky am I to share moments like that often.  

People frequently ask why I don't expand or move downtown where I might get more traffic.  We were downtown for our first five years.  While I admire our downtown and all the fine shops that have been popping up in the last few years, I always wanted to be a neighborhood store.  Here, we are just another neighbor.  We see kids grow and cross the street on their own.  We see kids take those early, halting steps in our store.  We hear about their favorite books, and writers.  We know all the local furry friends and try to keep them supplied with water and treats.  We've shared graduations, and marriages, along with some sad times.  I believe those connections are stronger here than they would have been in a more bustling location.

Because we're smaller and slower (and because I only answer to myself) I can spend my days as I choose.  I sure was surprised a few weeks back when a long lost friend reentered my life.  Julie and I lived in the same neighborhood for years, until her family moved to Florida.  Julie's life became quite adventurous while mine became fixated on school.  We lost touch. 

Julie approached the counter; I quickly recognized that impish little grin, walked away from what I was doing and spent a pleasant afternoon listening to stories and getting to know her partner, Flo.  

This is the life I have grown to love - no two days the same.  No demands except those I put on myself, and lots of time to make connections, to create memories, and to take an occasional walk down memory lane.

Not store related, but this week we celebrate my friend Stephanie's birthday and 15 years of being cancer free.  Happy Birthday - Happy Boobies Steph.  

Books?  Yes, I just finished Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk - which sort of inspired this non-bookish post. Now I have to read 52 pages a day of Papillon in order to be ready for next week's book discussion group. Yes, this is a demand I'm putting on myself since it was my book choice and I'm fearing there might be some justified  anger.

Thanks for stopping by.