Monday, February 26, 2018

Death of an Irish Diva



These grey, wishy-washy days call for some lighter reading, and so I grabbed a cozy mystery from my futures pile.  Like many cozies, this is part of a series.  In this case, some characters and minor incidents carry over, but story lines are fresh so jumping in at any point is easy.

This particular series is anchored by a versatile group of scrap booking ladies which includes a retired journalist and more than one amateur sleuth.  Combining Irish dance, scrap booking, adoptions, murder and much more, the story begins with the St. Patrick's Day parade in Cumberland Creek.  The parade goes off without a hitch until the body of famed Irish dancer, Emily McGlashen is found murdered in her dance studio.  the prime suspect is Vera Matthews, owner of a competing studio where only the fine, traditional dance forms are taught.  

Shortly, we discover that Emily may not be who she claimed to when a couple named McGlashen arrive to identify the body they believe to be their daughter only to announce they have no idea who the body is.  Then there's Vera's mother who, in the process of having her yard dug for a pool, finds that her home may be located on consecrated burial ground.  This is all good fun, just a cozy mysteries should be.  No lengthy description of chopped up bodies. no gratuitous love scenes. no cuss words.

There's a cozy for every interest, occupation, hobby, season, holiday, location, historical period, favorite animal, favorite supernatural obsession....well, you get the picture.   they're pure escape reading, and after one or two in the series, you feel like you're spending Sunday afternoon with old friend.  Do a search on Cozy mysteries and you'll come u0p with dozens of hits.  but, if you're looking for a specific theme and don't have the time or desire to wade through all the on-line sites, let me know.  I'd love to do the digging for you.

As I was thinking about this post, I scrolled through older posts and found a few words about another cozy to add on the right side bar.  In my search, I discovered that apparently I have posted on the same book a couple time - probably because I frequently start a book  and then get pulled away by another title - getting back to the original partial post months or years later.

I also discovered that my dog hasn't posted in a long time, nor have I have a guest post from Steve.  Gotta make some changes there soon.

Thanks for stopping by.