Monday, March 12, 2018

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend



I'm a sucker for books about books, usually.  The first time I read this book, I found myself skimming, skipping pages, yawning.  To be fair, I had just read several book-centric novels in a row, and enough was enough.  I bit my tongue when my book group choose this title, but the girl scout in me said to buck up and give it a brave effort.  Well, wasn't I surprised to find an endorsement form Nick Butler, author of Shotgun Lovesongs?  That was enough for me to clear my mind and give this book a fair second shake.  

Predictable.  Feel good. Cozy. Silly.  Sure.  All of that is true, but it all comes in an artfully written homage to small towns populated by oddball and eccentrics.  My only criticism is that Sara, the little Swedish girl at the center of the fun, has brown hair.  After losing her bookstore job in Sweden, Sara travels to America to meet her much older pen-pal.  In the book's first of many  surprises, Sara arrives in Broken Wheel on the day of Amy's funeral. Broken Wheel townies adopt Sara quickly and,  in short order she opens - you guessed it - a bookstore.  

Little by little, as each resident finds his or her voice, the town becomes less dependent on the respirator of sameness that had long sustained them.   Signs of life begin to stir, along with long buried secrets.  

For me, the fun came from the characters, each one being someone I know or have known.  There's the crusty diner owner with a rifle under the counter), the gay bar owners,  the sullen, but big-hearted confirmed bachelor,  the church lady....all have their moments to shine, and all add to heart and plenty of fun to Broken Wheel.

Personally, this tops my book about books list, right up there with 84 Charing Cross Road.  This book won't change your life, but it is so down to earth that you might just find your town, your friends, you relatives or even yourself within the pages.