Monday, April 9, 2018

So Many Books!


Like most of you, I always have to TO BE READ stack of books, often more than one, stashed in various locations at home and at LaDeDa.  Seldom do I commit to reading those piles  though, instead, randomly choosing a title when needed.  However, this is a pile I will commit to.  I will tackle each one.  I will read the entire stack beginning now.

In order of importance?  Maybe.  The top three are book discussion picks, so they are my get-at-it-now books.  This slim  Making Oscar Wilde title is making me very happy.  At least once a year, usually in summer when most people opt for breezy beach reads, I check out 1000+ page Wilde bio from the library with good intentions of finally winning the battle with that quintessential work on one of my favorite playwrights.  I return it unopened each year.

  Midnight the the Bright Ideas Bookstore was suggested by a friend so when I finish he and I will email chat about it.  

Teddy Bare?  I actually have two copies of this book and with the Chappaquiddick movie out soon, I thought I'd read this and refresh my memory on the event. Rumors swirled when the book was first published that the Kennedy family had stopped any further printings.  When I found two copies at St.Vinnie's years ago, I was sure I had a gold mine - rare books, controversial.  I knew it was only a matter of time before I could sell them and run away.   Now I know that the author most likely self published and could only afford a small run.  Sadly, I will not be able to afford a tour of Europe on the $3.73 this book is going for on resale sites.

 Meet Your Dog - I just figured that since I'm 15 years into a commitment to Mrs. George Burns, I ought to know a little more about her dog-ness.

With that pile in front of me, I'm not quite sure where to turn, or in this case, which page to turn first.  Perhaps I can (horrors) break one of my many reading rules and tackle more than one book at a time. 

 Recently I ran across an article detailing how to manage multiple books. These are the writer's suggestions...you be the judge.

Read a thriller.
 And stay up all night reading it.

Start easy. .
Enjoy a cup at your local café and ease into the day.

 Read on your commute. 

 Listen to audiobooks while you’re at work. 
No one will suspect that you’re not actually working, and the time will fly by.

 Read while you eat. 

Run and read. 
This is not going to happen.

Stuck on a book you don’t like?
 Stop wasting time and put it down

 Never, ever be caught without a book. 

Now that I've made my public declaration of what I will be doing with the next week, I better get moving. I am part way into Killers of the Flower Moon, a troubling account of the murders of many Osage Indians. More on that next week.

Keep your fingers crossed for me on Monday as I am starting with a new piano teacher.  She has some strict studio policies, including "no swearing".  Jeeze Louise. I'm good for at least one fiery outburst per lesson as I talk myself through a piece. " B flat. B flat. B flat.  It's still a ##%$ B flat. Play the ^##% B flat." 

 I'll try to curtail my enthusiasm and hope to be  welcomed back for a second lesson.  

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment