Monday, April 30, 2018

The Best #1 Kids Say the DARNDEST THINGS (B.V.V. Certified funny)



(You might see a blip of Bill Cosby at the opening of the video....it is just that, a blip.)

Retro reading weekend.  As I pulled out an old favorite from my bookshelf,  I found a forgotten title lodged behind it.  My mom's copy of Art Linkletter's Kids Say the Darndest Things is a mess.  No dust cover, cracked spine, pages yellow and falling out, but heck, that little Charles Schultz drawing on the cover proved too irresistible.  Rebecca will have to wait till I'm feeling nostalgic again.

She had marked passages throughout book with brackets, stars and circles.  I could find no common connection among these passages, and wish I could ask her.  It made me smile to think I continue her practice of marking in books, although we now have highlighters, which I believe, she would have enthusiastically employed.

The book compiles insights shared by children on Linkletter's TV show, "House Party."  The vast gulf between their world and ours leads to all sorts of unpredictable comments as you will see if you watch the video.  Knowledge we take for granted, or events and ideas we interpret as common place are all fodder for their their young, curious, discovering, and inventive minds.  

Rather than quote from the book., I plugged in the above video for you.  I remember my grandmother having great admiration for Art Linkletter, referring to him always a Mr. Linkletter.  I seem to recall some sort of controversy surrounding him in his later years, but let's leave that tabled for now, darn it.

Up next - The Chilbury Ladies' Choir.  60 pages in and totally enjoying it, even though the alternating formats -letters, journals, traditional narrative - took some getting used to.  I'm keeping my eyes on one particularly devious character.  I wonder what she's up to.  She's so overconfident that she is bound to get herself into a heck of a mess.   Light, pre-summer reading.  I only wish Wisconsin's weather gnomes would cooperates so I could do some deck reading.  Soon.