Monday, September 16, 2019

Thousand-Miler

This book made my feet hurt.  Well, not at first anyway.  I jot a few quick notes as I read books for our discussion group, and looking back, I find "boring" seven times in seven different fonts.  Then something changed.  I questioned why I liked Walden so very much but was having a tough time with a similar, back to nature story.

Melanie Radzicki McManus challenged herself to through-walk the Ice Ice Trail which covers approximately  1100 miles of Wisconsin trails. A through-walker travels the trail in a single walk, rather than breaking it up over a number of years. She managed to do it in record time - 1100+ miles in thirty-six days. Cellulitis took her down for a day or two, and to be honest, I could have lived without her description of what oozed from her sores.  She lost toenails.  She got lost and dehydrated.

By thirty pages in, I was with her. I convinced myself that in order to muscle through, I needed to go on the journey with her, sore feet and all.  This wasn't Walden.  She wasn't sitting near on pond, fishing and growing veggies, and contemplating the universe. She walked and jogged through Wisconsin's prairies, swamps, woods, and farmlands.  Along the way she met others with similar goals, most a bit eccentric, and those chapters were some of my favorites.  Her book showed me parts of Wisconsin I will never see - small towns, deep and dangerous wooded areas, and quiet hillsides.  She showed them all too me, along with providing extensive, and fascinating information on our state's geological history.

Nothing surprised me more than Chapter  11 which was all about Bob Fay, former director of our local Historical Society.  I have known the Fay family for a long time.  His wife, Georgia, was the bookstore manager at UW-Manitowoc, and his daughter, Megan, was one of my students at the campus years ago. Bob spent seven years seven years hiking sections the trail, and with Georgia's help, kept copious notes.  He is currently putting together a presentation for the Two Rivers Library and has kindly agreed to visit with our discussion group next week.

In the end, yes, I liked this book.  Some maps and pictures would have been helpful, but a little inter web digging filled that gap.  Without getting too zen on you all, I will say that McManus's experience made me think about quite, and I have since begun to surround myself with more of it.  Reading on the deck these final days of summer with nothing but sounds the birds, squirrels, and the wind offer has provided a surprising tempo change for me.  My mind has stopped racing.  I have been focused. Sort of slothlike!  No more music or TV in the background when I read indoors.  Doing this allows me get lost in what I'm reading and time passes slowly and with a new value.  I wonder if cleaning in silence would have a similar effect?

Do you know there are monasteries in Wisconsin where you can go and hang out in silence for however long you want or need?  Just a thought.  For now, I'm happy with my spot in the window, sun at my back, and silence in the air and in my mind.

Thanks for stopping by.,

No comments:

Post a Comment