Monday, December 16, 2019

Little Faith Part 1

This book will take me two, maybe three weeks to chatter about...skipping next week, most likely...

For starters, Nick Butler is my big book crush. I spent an afternoon with him a while back, and although I remember most of that day. I doubt that he would say the same. That's OK.

Nick was scheduled to speak at the library (we were vending books for him) and he planned to make the round trip to and from North Western Wisconsin in one day.  When he got up in the morning and found there was no electricity in his location, he headed out earlier than planned. He had nothing to do once he got to Manitowoc.  He dropped in to meeme, and ended up staying until it was time to go to the library.  

He wore holey jeans and - I think - a battered Packer sweatshirt, but he brought "proper" clothes to change into before his presentation.  When he went to his car to get his good duds, he realized that in his haste to leave, he had forgotten his dress shoes and socks, and decided to stay just as he was.  No one seemed to notice.

Little Faith is the first book in my new listening project, and so far I'm enjoying it.  I think I could read the book faster, though.  In my opinion, a better reader could not have been found.  A bit of gravel in his voice pairs nicely with the rural setting and laid back cast.  I can't comment too much on the plot at this point, except to say that it has promise.  Because I'm listening rather than reading, I cannot rush past anything and  I am allowed to experience the full lushness of Butler's words.  The guy can write.  And he understands, appreciates and honors the spirit of small town America.  This book is about belief, community, and friendship.  So simple.  So right.  

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment