Monday, June 29, 2020


Happy day.  We have a review from our far away friend and my book and email bud-cuz, Steve.  Steve has been consistently interested in what our book group is reading, and so he is now an adjunct member of the group.  I share his thoughts on this novel, although my first go-round with it years ago failed.  Something grabbed me this time, perhaps the peacefulness of the journey and the acknowledgment that happy and sad can dwell together harmoniously...tricky but true. 

So, here's Steve!

i was hooked on little paris bookshop in the first chapter, where Catherine whispers of drowning in uncried tears. such an image. i had to keep listening

perdu begins as a man above the common, able to tell what others need rather than want, especially when it comes to books and emotion support. yet this slowly unravels as we learn of his failed romance of over 20 years ago. upon learning his lost love has left a letter informing him of her expected death, which he couldn't bring himself to read at the time, our main character is thrown into emotional chaos and causes him to flee the scene, but only after having stood on the edge of the cliff with the newly met Catherine and fireworks of mutual passion

as so begins the river journey of perdu and rooming house mate max, a young author fleeing from doting fans


during the scene with the tango dancers i could not help be think of Herman Hesse's 'The Steppenwolf' which i'd read in my 20s and re-read a few times. When i tried to return to it in my 50s or so i had to re-shelve it, the years providing a perspective that was too painful.
Luckily the need for the characters to flee danger kept me from getting too stuck in the the fly paper of perdu's situation

the journey continues with delightful characters and locations, sensually rich yet bittersweet - and in what is indulgent sentimentality, the story plays out with the meeting of the widow of perdu's lover, manon, and their shared sense of loss

the use of manon's diary is a good touch and sets up the redemption scene at her grave site - and the epilogue is a chick flick 'happily ever after' ending that can moisten eyes yet leave a sticky syrupy residue

i enjoyed this book and am glad to have spent time listening to it - although i'm not likely to return to other stories by ms george, espcially if they mirror the formula she used for this novel

the frequent mention of Hesse's 'Stages' led me to look up the poem - perhaps it is the 'take away' from this literary outing - i haven't posted it on my bulletin board, but perhaps i should

Thanks Steve.
Thanks for stopping by.
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay happy.

Just a few extras and a tiny rant -

Monday through Friday I receive an informative and inspirational newsletter created just for us indie booksellers.  Today, this free publication celebrated 15 years.  How did they do it?  They summed up their philosophy in three short thoughts they call Instructions for Living a Life.

Pay attention.
Be astonished.
Tell about it.

Pretty good advice if you ask me.  Now here's the mini rant.  I believe we have weathered the Covid storm and are ready to handle what yet may come. We made it through because our loyal customers remained loyal.  New customers arrived, and many left us their change, and some even added extra to what they owed.  I paid attention to who was there to help.  I was astonished (and humbled) and so I want to thank each of them, and I will find ways to do that,  

During the slowdown/shut down, city leaders and others made numerous pleas to keep local restaurants open by ordering take-out and buying gift certificates.  That's good. I did that.  I hope it helped.  Seldom did they remind people about all us other local, indie businesses; that stung.  Then, this past weekend, one of those city officials (not our Mayor)  who touted saving local eateries asked FB friends for book suggestions to order on-line  rather than considering and promoting local first.  I wanted to comment - "Have you tried a local bookstore?' or "Hey, remember me?' 

Nope, didn't do that.  Won't do that because we will muscle through happily and proudly with customers who understand the importance of community.  Here's an inside scoop, I can recite the entire text of The Little Engine that Could.

My late friend, Pat, would have been horrified by this post.  When I missed a Monday she would call.  When a post bored her, she called. And when a post got too long, she called. advising me to stick to no more than three paragraphs.  Sorry Pat. But you know what, just thinking about her made me giggle and that's a good thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment