Monday, February 27, 2017

The Hamilton Affair

This will be one of those "I'm not far enough to say anything significant" posts; in addition, Blogger is up to its yearly trickery and is allotting me a limited amount of space today.

If you're one of the many taken with Broadway's hit "Hamilton" and want to know more about this controversial American Revolution figure but aren't up to the 800+ pages Chernow book, this historical fiction novel might be just right.  Realistically, it is more romance than political drama, but the way the story travels though time allows us to witness Hamilton's personal evolution from pitied illegitimate son living in the Caribbean to a leader respected by Washington and despised by Jefferson.  

The alternating opening chapters focus on the young lives of Hamilton and his future wife, Elizabeth Schuyler.  Their backgrounds couldn't be more different, yet when the ambitious Alexander and headstrong Elizabeth first meet meet, there is no doubt where the relationship is headed.  Well, no doubt for me, but that remains to be seen.  To be honest, I know next to nothing about Alexander Hamilton so I'm just guessing that they will fall hopelessly in love - and very quickly.  I hear there were mistresses (hence the title!) and scads of children, but that's just street gossip and hasn't yet been verified by anything I have read.  

So, that's it.  I'm both at the end of what I have read thus far, and at the end of the Blogger page...can't move the sheet down any more.  Time to check in with the Blogger Help desk to solve this.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hey Steve, Craig Johnson is going to be in Green Bay on August 11th.