Monday, September 18, 2017

Theft By Finding

Bev's book Rule #3 - don't repeat books.  That rule exists because I am a slow, slow, slow reader and well, you know how many books call out to be read.  David Sedaris is one of the few exceptions to Rule #3.  They guy is so darn funny and someday I just need that little dose of his edgy humor.

Theft by Finding threw me off at first.  Of course I skipped the introduction, that was the problem.  If you pick up the fascinating book, read the intro.  Sedaris shares his philosophies on keeping a diary.  First, his diaries span 40 years.  Who is that anal about keeping a diary?  Second, his diaries face outward.  He documents what he sees, what he hears, what he does and with whom, but the traditional diary staples of questioning oneself, one's purpose, and the world does not figure in.  

Frankly, I am surprised that David Sedaris survived the 70's.  This guy lived what I consider a sketchy, dangerous and beyond stupid life. He had no money;  ans rather than living form paycheck to paycheck, he lived from phone call to phone call perfecting his pitch to bill collections for a sympathetic extension.  No rent money, no money to pay bills or to buy food - yet he had easy access to drugs - pot, LSD, meth, all sorts of dangerous stuff in deadly combinations and without taking a usage break.  He hitchhikes everywhere taking rides from any number of questionable characters, and he slept where ever and with whomever.  

In the intro, Sedaris tells us that he self edited this book and the entries he omitted would have made him look "evil, selfish....sensitive."   So far, this book carries no hints as the the satirical genius he would become. I have laughed only once, but don't take that to mean I don't like this book.  I do.   I will finish this volume (1977-2002) and wait impatiently for volume two.  

That one laugh? He refers to an AT'T rep who continues to call him about paying his bill a "professional scolder".

Oh, what about that title?  It's a British concept meaning that if you find something and keep it without trying to locate the rightful owner you are guilty of "theft by finding."  I haven't figured out how that relates to the book yet unless it refer to the idea that David Sedaris is telling us more about other people's lives than his own.

More on this next week unless I decide to read circle of Terror, a crime fiction piece just dropped off by author Larry Powalisz  Although he now lives in Houston he came up this way to get away from the flooding for a while).He spent over 25 years with the Milwaukee Police Department as an inner-city police officer and detective. He also served over 29 years with the United States Coast Guard as a reservist, active duty, and civilian, mainly in the capacity as a special agent with the Coast Guard Investigative Service. He earned a bachelor and master's degree in criminal justice from the University of Wisconsin. 

Book group went well on Friday night, although my teacher radar detected that  someone who had not read the book.  Because I am way too practical for my own good, I wonder why someone would bother coming to a discussion under those circumstances.  But, why not?  Maybe she didn't have time to read it and wanted to hear about the book to see if she wanted to work it into her life.  Or maybe she just likes us. 

Book group 2 meets tomorrow.  Pride and Prejudice on deck.  I had two fails with that book in the past, but this time I read carefully and intentionally.  Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up with the discussion.  We'll see.