Monday, October 2, 2017

Find your Heart...Circle of Terror....and Windigo

If you peek at this blog from time to time, you most likely have concluded that I don't read self-help/inspiration books, nor do I read anything in the world of creepy.  So, what do I find myself blogging about today?  Inspiration and creepy.  And you know what?  I doing OK with both. 

In fact, Keri Olson's, Find Your Heart, Follow Your Heart, speaks to something that directly affects my life.  More on that later.  This book grew out of a series of unimaginable events - three bouts with cancer, benign brain and spinal tumors resulting in temporary paralysis.  How she weathered all of that and came out with a wink and smile baffles me.  This little book packs a lot of power - part memoir, part daily devotional, part guided journal - to be read and used in any way that meets your needs.

Having recently resigned my producer/director role with Heart-A-Rama means dealing with change and new ways of just being.  I began on stage as a horse's patoot and moved around in the organization where needed, ending in the producer role (some would say I ended right where I began!).  Anyway, my eleven month volunteer job is now in someone else's capable hands.  I have found much wisdom in Keri's chapter on change.  Her chapter headings will direct you to where you want or need to be, and following each chapter are provocative questions to help you solidify your thoughts.  If you're a pragmatist, like me, or more of a hopeful, altruistic individual, you will find something in these pages that will awaken and clarify.

Circle of Terror...yikes!  Larry Powalisz worked as a Milwaukee detective before moving to Texas, eventually working on an anti-terrorism unit.  Fascinating individual.  In fact, he was one of the first detectives on the scene of the Dahmer case in Milwaukee.  Who can forget that nightmare?

Well, that nightmare plays a significant role in Powalisz's book which begins in a Milwaukee cemetery and leads the investigators in and around Milwaukee. The author softened the shocking details with a bit of romance.  Good call.

Sometimes I read a book and my theatre brain kicks into high visualization mode and I begin to see a story playing out in my mind's eye.  That happened with this book.  The police procedural format moves smoothly and logically, and because of the action and more action this could easily be adapted into a screen play.  Get on that Larry!

I can't sign off without acknowledging all the hullabaloo about Windigo fest  happening this coming weekend in downtown Manitowoc.  I greatly admire people who have strong convictions and stand by them, but this is a new event in Manitowoc and perhaps taking a wait and see attitude might be advisable.  If zombies, cannibals and Isis recruiters occupy the streets, then yes, time to take cover or to protest.  This reminds of people who refuse to read a book or see a movie if the F-bomb is written or uttered.  How is one's life changed by that word?  How will lives be changed by an edgy Halloween festival?  Dawn, the organizer, has been so generous to charities in our community.  Maybe we can be charitable  in return by not judging her festival until there is reason to judge.

Thanks for stopping by.