Monday, April 29, 2019

Surrounded by Idiots

I have broken my number three reading rule -never read more than one book at a time.  The others, in order of importance are
  •   Never (unless it's a Spencer Quinn book) read a book with a dog on the cover 
  •   Never read a book that begins with a description of weather unless it's a cozy, British mystery
  •  Never read a book that is part of a series

The problem all started with The Lost City of the Monkey God, one of those travel/expedition/opening Al Capone's vault type stories.  I have been duped so many times on these true adventure memoirs and hope that someday the brave expedition team will actually find the lost city they are looking for.  So far, these guys have only come across some evil ants, hanging snakes, scorpions in their shoes, and an occasional disgruntled native hiding in the dense Honduran jungle.  

For five hundred years, legends have circulated about an ancient city hidden in the Honduran mountains called the White City of the Monkey God - a place so sacred that those who dare to disturb it will fall ill and die.  Neither its location nor existence have ever been confirmed

 I can only assume that since the writer lived to tell the tale, the tale will be more journey than destination.  Still, I will persevere along with them.

Then a little book called The Furies caught me off guard.  Young adult novels often have vague settings, with story lines focused on character and broken hearts.  This one pulled me in because it is set on the campus of an exclusive British University and I can already tell that the school and it history will figure importantly into the plot. The obligatory creepy headmaster keeps creepy drawings of witches on his desk, and I will soon meet the mysterious art teacher fixated on the Pieta and other religious themed artworks.I wait for the murder and the certain connection to a history of campus evil, incantations, bad girls, and symbolism.  A blend Heathers and The DaVinci Code. Seems to have some depth and texture so this is the one I will read this afternoon while the the street crews dig holes in front of our building.

How could I pass by a book with a title like this?  How many times have I uttered those very words? Also, it has been years since I have read any pop psychology,and thought that perhaps this latest iteration of that genre might have more to offer. Wrong!  This book simply retools that old Kiersey and Bates temperament test - the one where, no matter how I try to trick it  - tells me I am an ENTJ... extrovert, intuitive, thinking, judgy. Accurate on most days.  I have tried tricking self scoring IQ tests as well, but the numbers always come out the same.  I am average.  

As the title suggests, this book helps us deal with the idiots in our lives, helping us to rethink our relationships with the idiots and change our mindset on dealing with them.  It seems to work. Reading this book me  to a place where I can  breath easily forgive Alex Trebek.  For years, the man had annoyed me with his pomposity.  I am - OOPS - was most bothered when he attempted an accent when a foreign word appeared in a question.. But now I'm OK with it, thanks to the translation of Thomas Erickson's book which was a runaway hit in Sweden.  Isn't that among the happiest places  in the world?  

Don't forget us during road construction.  The crews promise us the work will be finished June.  Until then, you can get to us via Waldo.

Thanks for stopping by.  



No comments:

Post a Comment