Monday, May 13, 2019

Forty Autumns

At age 20, Hannah escaped to West Germany.  Her mother watched her walk away.  Hannah left behind her parents and eight siblings with the full knowledge that they might never see each other again. Eventually, Hannah married and moved to America where her daughter, Nina, was born.  It is Nina who tells this story of generations separated by the Iron Curtain.

I had heard horror stories about the research paper writing process which was taught in the general history class in my high school.  To avoid that ordeal, I signed up for college prep history classes which focused on the history, art, literature, and philosophies of great civilizations.  While others were learning - and writing - about communism, and other significant developments,  I was discovering the apologies of Plato, and following Hannibal and the elephants crossing the Alps.  And yes, we wrote a ton of papers so my plan was an epic fail.

Thank you to Nina Willner for opening my eyes to a terrifying period in mankind's history.  She paints a complete picture of life behind the Iron Curtain where individual's every move was controlled, and every action was suspect.  Woe to those who in any slight was offended their leaders.  Hannah's bravery put her family in jeopardy, although she had no way of knowing that.  Letters were sent in both directions, but few made it to their intended destination. Willner effectively compares life on both sides of the wall.  While Hannah grows and prospers in the East, her family struggles, facing daily humiliation, and insults to their very humanity.

Having read many reviews of this book, I know that I am in the  minority with this statement - I did not enjoy this book.  I found it dry and cold.  It lacked the passion I expected from a story of a family finding its way back together after forty years.  My book group discusses this title on Friday.  Maybe their insights will help me appreciate it more.

Sorry I didn't blog last Monday.  I went to a small, trade show in Green Bay.  This was a "Fancy food" show and I was hoping to find new cookies or other goodies for the store.  No luck there.  Over 100 suppliers offered samples of their goods.  We're talking cheese curd, pizza ,and sausage heaven.  I was about half way through making the rounds, tasting and pretending to be interested, when a fist fight broke out near me. Other than some violent scenes on TV, I have never seen punches exchanged and while it was oddly exciting, the kid in me worried that a gun would appear at any moment.  So I left never knowing which vendor had the best kielbasa.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment